- A Classic Roman Praetorian Scutum (Shield)
- elongated, hexagonal shape that features six distinctive sides, flat on top and bottom, while the sides extend out
- Made from Durable Hardwood
- Linen Covering Enhances Detailing and Strength
- A Classic, hand painted, Red and Yellow scorpion Roman Design
- center brass boss
- measures approximately 47 inches tall and approximately 27 inches wide
This Praetorian Cavalry hardwood shield provides protection through its size, while its shape makes it effective for use on horseback. With a slight alteration from the typical Roman shield, this features an elongated, hexagonal shape that features six distinctive sides, measures approximately 47 inches tall and approximately 27 inches wide, as opposed to the traditional square or oval shapes. The shield is flat on top and bottom, while the sides extend out to provide additional protection. The front of the shield features a brass boss. The shield's face features the classic red and yellow-gold coloration that is often-times associated with Roman legionaries, depicting four yellow-gold scorpions, all centered around the boss on a red background. This shield features a linen covering to enhance its detailing and its strength, and has been hand painted to ensure its impressive design.
The reign of Domitian (AD 81-96). This has been taken to contrast with the rectangular scutum adopted universally by the legions in the first half of the 1st Century.